Sunday, December 28, 2008

What a Wonderful Christmas...

We couldn't have asked for a better day! Well, I guess if we were asking for things, we probably would have asked for a little less snow on Christmas, since we had to do quite a bit of driving, but it's hard to complain too much about a beautiful, white Christmas!


The festivities started out on Saturday with the late night arrival of Matt, Angie, Sophia, Henry and Evie from Ohio. Simon was so excited to get over to Nana's house on Sunday morning to play with his cousins. Nana and the kids opened an early Christmas present, which was a copy of the book "Elf on the Shelf." The kids, mainly Henry, decided to name the elf "Tricky Brandon." Not sure why Brandon was Henry's inspiration, but it made me laugh! Tricky Brandon hid somewhere new each morning and caused mischief around the house, so I guess the name was actually pretty appropriate!



We took the kids to see Santa the following day and everyone had a great time, waiting in line that is, the actual act of sitting on Santa's lap brought "a few" tears to the younger cousins.

Little did I know, I apparently should have taken a turn giving Santa my list as well, with driving lessons in bold at the top. That night, Simon and I had a very unwanted late night adventure that began when I failed to yield to an oncoming car at a stop light and ended with both cars being towed away to their respective body shops. Aside from me being very shaken up, everyone was okay.

Thank goodness for car seats, seat belts and a very nice driver, who was understanding beyond belief and ridiculously good natured about the whole unfortunate situation... did I mention he had just bought his car. Enough said.

But, the show must go on! Nanie arrived by train on Tuesday afternoon and we were very excited that she would be staying with Nana all week. Yes, I know Nana and Nanie are very confusing names since they are so close, but somehow the kids always seem to get it right!


Christmas Eve was action-packed with a visit to Grandma's house after Brandon got home from work. Then, off to Sparks for church and a quick drive to check out a few Christmas lights before dinner. The kids were getting sleepy, but we did manage to make it to the "Monster House" in honor of the Toph. He would have loved the giant penguins and the woolly mammoth that decorated the front lawn this year. I can still hear him telling us about the house when he found it the first time. He couldn't wait to show us how it was decorated with a Christmas monster! Of course, he had not seen Monsters Inc. or it might have made a little more sense.

Christmas Eve dinner was delicious and the table looked beautiful as usual. Nana did a great job preparing everything for a great night of fondue. I especially liked the extra crunchy potatoes, although it seemed like the hot item this year was the stuffed mushrooms.


I was a little disappointed that Brandon didn't come up with his usual fondue creation, but Matt made up for it when he speared a dinner roll and tried to fry it up. Let's just say... no need to repeat that attempt next year.

After checking the forecast, we decided to stay overnight in Sparks, since it sounded like getting over to mom's house in the morning might be a little tricky, especially now that we were down our four-wheel drive car... thanks to me!

So, with the children all nestled all snug in their beds. Scratch that, Simon would have no part of being nestled in his bed, but I'm sure he had sugar plums dancing in his head as he drifted off to sleep in my bed. I really had every intention of going back out to help Matt finish up last minute Christmas items, but I must have been more tired than I thought because I was asleep the minute I hit the pillow.

We woke up in the morning to the excited sounds of the kids peeking at the presents from upstairs. As soon as Nate, Melissa and Jimmy came through the front door, the kids starting opening their gifts. Everyone made out like bandits. Good thing Nana cut down like she promised this year;) We love our new Flip video camera. Expect to see a lot more videos on the Peterson Pickle very soon.


My favorite present came after dinner when mom gave us a copy of all of our old home videos on DVD. It's been so fun to watch the old videos, although there have been a few complaints about my video skills, or lack thereof, but what do you expect, I was 11!

After presents it was time to eat our traditional breakfast, complete with yummy breakfast beans and Simon's first taste of scrambled eggs. Then, it was time to get dressed and head to Grandma's house.

Simon thankfully slept on the way over and was ready for more fun when we pulled onto Grandma's very snowy street! Greg, Layla and Lexi were already there and Simon couldn't wait to join the party.




Lunch was very tasty, with my favorite rolls and a very delicious chocolate fondue treat for dessert. Yummm... I just can't seem to get enough of fondue! Next up, it was time for presents and the kids did a very good job at opening their gifts. Simon loved his water blocks, cute new outfit, computer game and special engraved silver spoon. And, Brandon and I can't wait for our relaxing night out and massages to ease away all of our holiday stresses!

Simon gave us a present this year too. He took his first step at Grandma's house. He did it only once, but we have witnesses and Brandon and I think it definitely counts!

After spending a relaxing afternoon at Grandma's it was time to load up the car and head back to Sparks where Nana was putting the finishing touches on a big Christmas dinner. Thanks to Kelly we were able to fully enjoy the cracker table decorations mom had bought. Who knew those things had crowns and jokes inside too! Although, it was hard to convince Henry that the luggage tag in his present was just as neat as Sophia's yoyo.



After dinner, full to the brim and exhausted, we loaded Simon up and headed home to bed. I don't think we could have asked for a better first Christmas for Simon! What a great day!

1 comment:

Charissa said...

Wow! It sounds like you had such a great time--and I love all the pics!