Thursday, May 28, 2009

First Camping Trip of the Season...



A little rain didn't scare us off as we started the drive to the Sand Pond campground near Bassetts Station last weekend. The car was packed. The marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers were all accounted for and we were ready for a night of adventure in the woods.

You couldn't tell by looking at our over-stuffed car, but we decided to go up for just one night to see how Simon would do sleeping under the stars.



Brandon was excited to try out our new tent, which had a very essential feature, a swinging door rather than the usual zip-up style. A must have if you plan to go in and out of the tent as many times as we did in 24 hours.

Brandon decided to stop on our way out to buy a new sleeping bag for Simon and I'm very glad I didn't give him a hard time about the last minute purchase. The day was warm, but our early season campout brought with it a very cold night.

Thanks to Brandon, who always seems to know best in these situations, Simon and I were as warm and comfortable as I think I've ever been camping, only waking up a few times to make sure Simon was staying warm. Poor Brandon on the other hand, suffered through a long, cold night in his less than cozy Wal-Mart bag. The McAdara's were lucky they didn't wake up to find Brandon taking up residence in their fancy pop-up tent camper.

Brandon and I were on pancake duty in the morning. It took us a few batches to get the hang of things, but we finally were able to turn out some tasty camping pancakes.

The ever dedicate runner, Brandon's decision to run in the morning took him to just the right spot at just the right time. While on the wooden boardwalk that takes campers over the marshy bog to Sand Pond, Brandon turned the corner just in time to see a little boy ride his bike right off of the walkway, headfirst into the thick, muddy water.

The terrified little rider was stuck face down in the mud with no chance of getting up because of the weight of his helmet and the thickness of the mud. With no one else in sight, Brandon was able to pull him free and stay with him until his parents finally came into site.

Our hero!



Later that afternoon, we headed to Sand Pond ourselves and were surprised that Simon couldn't get enough of the cold water. If only Brandon and I were up for wading in ourselves. Poor Simon had to makedo with splashing in the cloudy, shallow water.

After the lake, we finished packing up camp and headed to Bassetts Station for a tasty ice cream before heading for home. I think Simon will definitely be up for a longer camping trip next time, the question is will Brandon and I!

Enjoy the rest of our camping photos here.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I love Simon's little camping chair. Looks like you all had a great time. Our boys go for a camping first tonight. We will see how it goes. By the way does bringing a mini dvd player count as camping?

Beth and Shae said...

So the post above is really from me. I didn't realize my friend was still logged on my computer when I published it. Crazy!